Monday 1 April 2013

Juice=Juice : Hello!Project's Fresh New Group

When I first heard that Hello!Project would be debuting a new group filled with eggs (yes, I still call them eggs) and Miyazaki Yuka (who had previously came to my attention in Satoyama unit 'Green Fields') I thought it would be a bit like that 'Kanojo ni Naritai' song that was released a while back. In other words, a bit like a poor man's S/mileage. Thankfully, I was wrong. What we have got is a saxtastic song, 6 exciting newish girls, some cute casual-style costumes and a cheap music video that reuses the set for Manoeri's 'Onegai Dakara'! . . . Okay so that last one is less enthralling but overall things are going pretty well.


With a group name that is simple but stupid, Juice=Juice's indie single's name is more long but alright. "Watashi ga Iu Mae ni Dakeshimenakya ne". Seriously, I don't think the Tsunkster really thinks of the 16 year old Scottish girls who's Japanese is limited to things like "田中さんのお母さんの車は赤です。" when he comes up with these titles.

Anyway, the group consists of six members; Miyazaki Yuka, Miyamoto Karin, Takagi Sayuki, Uemura Akari, Otsuka Aina and Kanazawa Tomoko. I used to find that even number groups are a bit awkward in terms of formations and such but since I fell in love with 6 member S/mileage I'm more up for it. I think Tomoko is the only one I know absolutely nothing about but she looked great in this video so I look forward to getting to know her more.

Overall, I like the song. I mean, it's not going to go on any favourites lists but it does its job well and the sax hook is pretty neat. The dance is bold and full of energy, making a nice contrast to the girls' pouty faces in the close-ups. In general, while this release is nothing ground breaking, I find that it gives a good impression of the girls and I am looking forward to seeing the direction they take on the route to a major label debut.

1 comment:

  1. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. It surprises me of C-ute indies like Soku Dakishimete. Karin puts so much energy into her dance moves, I've noticed but she looks like a scary doll to me >_<

    ReplyDelete